Twit Twit

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Earthquake

Wednesday, 30th September 2009

It was 6.30pm.
I was blur and still sleeping like a pig after replying a sms.
Few minutes later, my phone rang.
It was from darling bestie, who called to tell me to get out of the hostel building.
I asked her what happened, she said it was earthquake.
Immediately, I sat up(I was still lying on the bed while talking to her), climbed down my double decker bed, headed towards the window, looked down the window and saw the crowd down there.
Then I told her I'll be down in 10 minutes.

I went down, saw the security guards who kept on shooo-ing students away from the staircase, not allowing them to go up again as they want to make sure that the building is not shaking.
I called bestie again, she told me where she is and I walked towards her. She and other friends were happily sitting down, chatting.

Then Ashley told me that she felt giddy at first, and thought of consulting the doctor if she still feels giddy the next day. Later on she noticed her bed shaking. She then realised that she wasn't having giddyness but it was the earthquake which causes her to feel giddy.

Sathya grabbed both of her guinea pigs and chucked them into her handbag and ran out of her room. How cute of her.

Later on while we were chatting with Augustina, I then realised that I felt my bed banged onto the wall after I replied the sms earlier on and was halfway sleeping before bestie called.

Called mum to inform her bout it, she said dad called to ask her if she felt any shaking motions in our condo before I called.

7.15pm
Evacuation cleared.

9pm
Went on9 and searched for the latest earthquake news.
It sounds to me like it's another disaster attack.
It really seemed like earthquake might really occur in our country in years to come since it's already affecting our country land in these few years since 2004.

----------

JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- Another strong earthquake rocked Indonesia early Thursday as the Southeast Asian nation was reeling from an earlier jolt that killed more than 200 people.

A resident stands next to building that collapsed onto a car in Padang, Indonesia, on Wednesday.

A resident stands next to building that collapsed onto a car in Padang, Indonesia, on Wednesday.

The 6.8 magnitude quake Thursday hit southern Sumatra at 8:52 a.m. local time (0152 GMT), the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said. Wednesday's earlier quake was 7.6 magnitude.

At least 236 people are dead and more than 500 injured, the Indonesian Social Ministry's Crisis Center said Thursday. It said it had little information on the missing and feared the death toll would climb into the thousands.

The second quake was on a smaller scale than the first, said meteorology official Fauzi, who uses only one name. There were no damage reports yet.

Indonesian Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari expected "the casualties and the damage of this earthquake to be bigger than the 2006 Yogyakarta earthquake, given the intensity and the spread of the damage."

The magnitude-6.3 Yogyakarta quake in central Java in May 2006 killed more than 5,000 people, triggered fears of an eruption of a nearby volcano and caused significant damage to a 9th century Prambanan temple.

Thousands may be trapped by collapsed buildings and houses, Rustam Pakaya, the head of the Health Ministry's crisis center, told CNN on Wednesday.

Adapted from
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/09/30/indonesia.earthquake/index.html

No comments: